Posted to rec.food.cooking
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Frogs!

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
>
>> "Omelet" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > While I agree with you about the turtles, bullfrogs are actually pests
>> > in some places and hardly endangered, plus they are farmed extensively:
>> >
>> > <http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...&aqi=g5g-m2g-m
>> > s1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=19d13023017841d>
>> >
>> > 1,800,000 his on google for frog farming.
>> >
>> > I don't eat turtles.

>> Well in Australia they are pests, yes as they invade farmlands. But the
>> frogs you find in stores are not bullfrogs.

> Okay, perhaps not there, but here, the frog legs I find commercially are
> usually farm raised bullfrogs. :-)

I am pretty sure toads are an invasive species in Australia. Eating them
would actually be a good thing.

>> And good on you for sparing the turtles.
>>
>> Paul

> I like turtles! And there are not many in the wild anymore except for
> maybe red-ears in the south...
>
> The biggest problem with bullfrogs is that they are big enough to eat
> any other frogs so devastate native species.
>
> Or so I have read...
> --

My sister works for California Fish and Game and she tells me frog poaching,
for restaurant supply, has all but obliterated the frog populations in many
parts of California.

Farm raising frogs is pretty hard as they require pretty clean environments
to thrive. It's hard to replicate an environment where they can grow.
Whichis why frogs are used as an indicator spcies of the health of a
wetland. The more frogs the better. So people take short cuts and go out
frogging in the middle of the night. Its just easier and there is so very
little enforcement of game laws.

And again, who needs frogs legs? Or turtles? Or bison? Or kangaroo? Or
ostrich? Vanity foods I call them.

Paul