Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Chemiker Chemiker is offline

Default Best wood for beef?

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:40:51 -0700 (PDT), Cam >
wrote:

>On May 23, 3:30*pm, Chemiker > wrote:
>> SWMBO brought home a $ale Brisket and asked me to Cook it in the BGE.
>> *I have the following woods available:
>>
>> Apple, pecan, mesquite, plum, fig, and Tabasco oak.
>>

>I can't get enough smoke on pulled pork but the best briskets I've
>cooked have been with no smoke wood at all, just hardwood lump. I'm
>leaning that way with side ribs as well.
>Your BGE doesn't burns logs, do you ever run it with lump alone? Lump
>provides a lot of flavour on it's own.
>
>Cam

Yes, I have. I let the brisket go over night, and the next day it was
sweet and tender within, but charred without. I then replaced the
thermometer and started a new one. Using the advice I got here, I did
it in an aluminum throwaway pan, with a light roof of foil, and a bit
of Pride of Deer Camp basting. It came out beautifully. I used some
pecan and apple, but not much. We're having left-overs tonight, with
stewed squash in tomato, and a bitter herb salad.

Got to get in the kitchen, and start the baking of the bread. It ready
to go.

Alex