Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Frogs!

In article
Nancy2 > wrote:

> > This market keeps getting more interesting.
> > They regularly carry two types of live turtles.
> > I'm much more interested in turtle than frog.
> > They have a sign on the turtle cage warning you
> > not to stick your fingers in the cage because
> > they'll bite you.
> >

> I would say, don't put your fingers in the turtle container because
> they carry salmonella. It's very common. You might forget to wash
> your hands.
>
> N.

The most common turtle eaten is snapping turtle. They can literally take
a fingertip off:

<http://www.holoweb.com/cannon/snapping.htm>

Don't let that pic fool you. Their necks are almost as long as their
shells! I used to have a pet one that I "rescued" in Louisiana that was
for sale for eating. <g> She eventually escaped as I kept her pen
outdoors. I'm sure she ended up in the local river. I fed her feeder
goldfish.

But your warning for Salmonella is accurate. It's a common issue with
pet turtles, altho' I kept 6 (native) ornate box tortoises for several
years as pets and never had an issue. I practice good handwashing. I
finally donated them to the local nature center when I was cutting back
on responsibilities. They built them a very nice pen and they are now
part of a local exhibit. :-)
--
Peace! Om