Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Best wood for beef?

In article
" > wrote:

> On May 25, 10:15*pm, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > > Well seasoned mesquite (2-3 years) works very well in the pit. *The
> > > green/improperly seasoned stuff is really nasty and smells like green
> > > weeds.

> > > Robert

> > Yah, but do be careful if you try to use pure mesquite for smoking!

> No problem. I have been smoking briskets for about 35 years now, and
> have made just about all the mistakes one can make.

Ok. I'm still a beginner but learned that gem from "bitter" experience.
<g> I tried to rescue the meat by stewing it but just ended up wasting
ingredients as I had to toss the whole bitter mess. Even the dogs would
not touch it.

> My favorite mix is mostly oak with a bit of mesquite thrown in on the
> offset. On my WSM, and couple of small pieces is all that is needed
> for a nice twang to the bark.

Cool. That's pretty much what I've been doing lately with maybe some
hackberry thrown into that as a base fire. I have more of that than
anything else at the moment. My big tree out front got majorly stressed
after the city topped it due to power lines last summer. Most of the
shade branches dropped and it was a hell of a mess. I still have one
more branch to cut up that fell _after_ I paid a tree service to help me
with the mess and additional needed pruning.

I also have a few post oak branches out back that need to be cut up as
well.

> It is strong, but jeez... not that strong. As I said before,
> >>seasoned<< mesquite is the key. I promise to all, if you harvest

> yourself, split it yourself (no bark, please), and season it in the
> hot sun for couple of years it isn't radioactive at all. Quite
> pleasant, really.
>
> Robert

<lol> Cute. ;-)
I just use it as a top dressing with a light hand, like I posted before.

To date, my FAVORITE smoking wood is Mimosa. Similar flavor to mesquite
but a lot lighter. Unfortunately, my supply of that is limited. I'm
saving what I have left for the next batch of Canadian Bacon.
--
Peace! Om