Melba's Jammin'

Default Plan ahead...

In article >, Bob Pastorio
> wrote:

> See where we are and where we've been...
>
> http://www.foodservice.com/marketprices/beef/
>
> Pastorio

Row-behr-to, I damn near croaked yesterday when I went to the
supermarket: BOGO on boneless chuck roasts. Kewl - that's what I like
for pot roasting. They're usually sale-priced at about $1/pound,
regular price being maybe $2.38-$2.68/pound. WERE. Yesterday, they
were marked $4.38/lb. <cough hack choke gasp>. My 4# roast was
~$17.68. Even getting two of them for that price brings them to ~$9
each! Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! But I bought them. And some chicken.

Local radio station farm director says it's due, in part, because beef
production was cut back -- demand typically slows after summer grilling
season. Only the demand did not decrease and cattle guys are now
shipping to market even before critter is fully finished in order to
meet the demand. (The Canadian import thing also came into play.) I
may pick up some TSP for some uses.
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)