Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default White House Dinner for Mexican President

"Steve Pope" > wrote
>> Many people would like to live here but if we just opened
>> the doors, it would not be possible to handle them all.

> I disagree. As I said, governments should butt out of the business
> of telling people where to live or work. All governments.
> U.S., Mexico, everywhere. There would be a transition of course,
> but it's not like it's impossible or anything. There's always
> a transition when you correct policy errors, but that is
> no reason to throw up your hands and leave them in place.
>
> Do you know that in China you can't even travel, move, or
> change jobs internally without government permission? We
> would consider that outrageous here wouldn't we? But how is
> our behavior at our border any different? Fact is, it's
> not any different; national borders are an outdated fiction
> created by rightwingers.
>
> Steve

While I don't want the government to tell me how to do much of anything,
they do protect its citizens from danger as best they can. Under your
program, anyone can travel at will. Thieves, mobsters, terrorists and other
assorted thugs can just move in next door to you. I prefer they not come.

Your Garden of Eden utopian society sounds nice on paper, but thousands of
years of tribal wars say it has not worked yet. Odds are it will not in our
lifetime. But please, don't let my realistic view on life stop you from
dreaming.