Posted to soc.culture.indian,alt.fan.jai-maharaj,alt.religion.hindu,alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Sidney Lambe[_2_] Sidney Lambe[_2_] is offline

Default VEGETARIANS HAVE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER BONES THAN MEAT-EATERS

On alt.food.vegan, and/or www.mantra.com/jai
(Dr. Jai Maharaj) > wrote:

> [Here, a vegetarian is one who does not eat animal-source
> material. - JM]

> Meat Eaters Have Double the Bone Loss
>
> Fact City 12
>
> On August 22, 1984, the Medical Tribune reported a major study
> of bone densities in the United States. The conclusion was
> typical of many such studies: "Vegetarians were found to have
> significantly stronger bones."
>
> In March 1983, the Journal of Clinical Nutrition reported the
> results of the largest study of this kind ever undertaken.
> Researchers at Michigan State University and other major
> universities found that, by the age of 65 in the United States:
>
> *** Male vegetarians had an average measurable bone loss of %
> 3 xxx Male meat-eaters had an average measurable bone loss %
> of 7 %
>
> *** Female vegetarians had an average measurable bone loss of
> 18% xxx Female meat-eaters had an average measurable bone loss
> of 35%
>
> By the time she reaches the age of sixty-five the average
> meat-eating woman in the United States has lost over a third
> of her skeletal structure. In contrast, older vegetarian women
> tend to remain active, maintain erect postures, and are less
> likely to fracture or break bones even with increased physical
> activity. If their bones do break or fracture, they heal faster
> and more completely.
>
> - Ellis, F., et al., "Incidence of Osteoporosis in Vegetarians
> and Omnivores" American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 25:555,
> 1972
>
> - American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, March 1983
>
> - Wachman, Amnon, et al., "Diet and Osteoporosis" Lancet, May
> 4, 1968, pg. 958
>
> Cited in Robbins, John, "Diet for A New America", Stillpoint
> Publishing, 1987.
>
> Jai Maharaj, Jyotish Om Shanti

You really are lost in a lala land. It is true that on
average, all other factors being equal, that pure vegetarians
are healthier than animal protein consumers, there are also
PLENTY of very unhealthy pure vegetarians around.

And PLENTY of very healthy people who live on junk food
that includes large quantities of very low quality mammalian
and avian an piscean flesh.

Unless you have written permission from John Robbins, you
are violating his copyright.

[delete]

> Since newsgroup posts are being removed by forgery by one or
> more net terrorists, this post may be reposted several times.

That's impossible. No one can remove posts from the Usenet. It
is a distributed network of servers and there are scores of
Usenet archives and many people keep local newspools (like me)
that go back for years.

Sid