Bill Spohn

Default Old Chards

1995 Eileen Hardy Chardonnay - this wine was a killer when young, but seemed to
age prematurely. I have one friend that really likes aged Chardonnay, so I
pulled this out together with a backup for him. The colour of a Madeira (and
not a sercial!) really quite dark. The nose, which used to feature lemon and
vanilla, has turned to a luscious toasty caramel. In the mouth it was well
balanced and ended with a nice mineral note. It was old, but good. We should
all be able to say the same thing.

1994 Mondavi Carneros Chardonnay - not as dark in colour, and the oak in the
nose, which used to dominate, has finally melded into a harmonious whole, with
toast and lemon. In mid-palate, cleaner and not quite as heavy, and the finish
was oddly enough quite similar to the Australian wine, with a definite mineral
note you don't see very often in American Chardonnay. Tasted blind, I'd have
said this was the younger wine.

Both wine were quite pleasant, although many people would deem them over the
hill. It takes a special sort of person to enjoy 'mature' chards!