Vox Humana

Default Over-kneading dough

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message
> Over-kneading.
>
> Is there a way to tell if you have overkneaded a dough?
> Is there a time when you know when to stop kneading?
>
> And what are the consequences?

I know that technically it is possible to over-knead dough and I believe
that Roy addressed this a while back. That said, I doubt that you could
over-knead by hand. Kneading too long in the food processor would soon
overheat the dough and that would cause problems. In Cookwise, Corriher
describes a phenomena that she calls "unmixing." She says that this occurs
when you alternate between fast and slow speeds on a mixer while kneading.
This results in a degradation of the gluten network.

You can see the previous discussion he http://tinyurl.com/ystgm