Mark Lipton

Default Gruaud Larose Vertical

Xyzsch wrote:

> My 82 Gruaud Larose is drinking nicely now, as is my 86 Montrose. All my wines
> of that era seem to have ullage to the neck, as my wines have moved a number of
> times, with less than perfect storage. I suspect my 86 Montrose may have had
> some rough handling before I bought it (one case in 1988) because it seems
> quite advanced for the vintage, whereas some of my other wines, noteably the
> 85 Lynch Bages, seems to have much life left. This wine actually seemed
> backward when tasted last month.

Tom,
A few months ago we opened a bottle of '86 Meyney, Montrose's less illustrious
nextdoor neighbor. It was likewise drinking very well right now, though I'd
expect the Montrose to have many more years ahead of it than the Meyney did.

> I may try a bottle of the 86 Gruaud L., and will let you know if I do.

Thanks!

> I don't know how you can compare the 82 to the 75, the 82 Gruaud having the
> sweet fruit evidenced when I first tried a bottle upon release. All the 82s
> I've tasted seem to have those sweet fruits and ripe tannins.

I meant that comment only in the sense of needing almost infinite time to
soften. I agree completely that '75 and '82 are two *very* different vintages,
and in all honesty I do not expect to see another year like '75 in my lifetime,
what with the shift in B'dx toward more forward, less austere wines.

Mark Lipton