Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default What measuring cup to get?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:52:20 -0400, "J. Clarke"
> wrote:

>On 4/29/2010 4:08 PM, graham wrote:
>> "Dave > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> I was certainly never under that impression. My mother always used Pyrex
>>> measuring cups. She had them in 1,2 and 3<4?> cup sizes. A cup is a cup
>>> and when baking it is important to have accurate measurements. That is
>>> easier to do with liquids than with dry ingredients when using a large cup
>>> . It is hard enough to measure one cup of flour in a measuring cup when
>>> the 1 cup line is below the top of the cup. My biggest problem is when you
>>> have to measure a fraction of a cup of packed brown sugar. That is where
>>> the nesting stainless cups are especially handy.
>>>

>> But with scales, one never has these problems.
>> As for Pyrex measuring jugs, they must be the poorest pourers in the
>> business and after a few years will frost over if they are put in the
>> dishwasher.

>That's water hardness that causes the "etching".

Actually it's the dishwashing compound that etches... hard water will
only coat with minerals, pretty easy to remove the minerals by
installing a water softener and continue washing with softened water.
Any glassware you don't want to become etched should be washed by
hand.