Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van[_3_] Van[_3_] is offline

Default Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

>>> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
>>> with them?

> Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
> they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
> following a script. Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
> else. It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
> screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
> they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
> Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
> the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
> there 3 hours. FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
> many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
> fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
> commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
> kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.

In all due respect, neither Bourdain or Zimmern are on FoodTV I think
Bourdain used to be, but I've never seen a show with either of them actually
COOKING anything.

They are both currently on the Travel Channel, generally in foreign
countries sampling the local cuisine. Some looks like something I'd like to
try, and other stuff is really disgusting. (For me, no insects - dead or
alive - reptiles, rodents or pig anuses). The surroundings & local customs
of their travels is much more interesting to me.

As for the actual COOKING shows on FoodTV, I think you are spot-on. Rachael
Ray, I sure takes much longer than 30 minutes to create her 30-minute show.
The Emeril Live show must take about 3 hours, as you speculate. Maybe I'll
go down to the city one of these days to attend a taping. I'll report back
here the results.

Van

PS: We've got a couple of businesses here in Albany that specialize in
COMMERCIAL cookware for restaurants. It's NOT Le Creuset, or anything like
it.