Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Favorite Cable TV Chef - Bourdain OR Zimmern?

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:34:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Apr 22, 5:26*am, Brian Anasta > wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> Well, I was watching my local cable Lifestyle channel this evening and
>> my 2 favourite TV chefs just happened to be on within the space of a
>> couple of hours.
>>
>> Now, a few thoughts to ponder.
>>
>> 1. Do you consider these guys to be real chefs - as in capable of
>> cheffing at a 5 star Michelin restaurant for instance?
>>
>> 2. Who do you prefer out of Bourdain and Zimmern?
>>
>> 3. Are TV celebrity chefs really yesterday's news and are you fed up
>> with them?
>>
>> Me, personally, I really love watching Bourdain's 'No Reservations'
>> and think his self deprecating sense of humor is really wicked
>>
>> Well will be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>> Brian Anasta

>From what I've read Bourdain was never a really 'great' chef. His
>book was his ticket out of the kitchen and into the spotlight. But
>he's much more fun to watch and way more informative and
>entertaining.
>
>Zimmern get's on my nerves a bit. He just eats disgusting things for
>the shock value IMHO.
>
>Bourdain actually understands better where the 'natives' are coming
>from and actually appreciates and relishes learning about their
>lifestyles and traditions.

Those idiot foodtv personalities know little about food/cooking...
they have writers who do know a little something... they are just
following a script. Most of the food was prepped/cooked by someone
else. It's TAPED TV, there's LOTS of editing/retakes... when they
screw up they simply keep retaking until they get it right... then
they edit it all down to fit in the few minute time slots between ads.
Perfoming to a live audience is easy, they just cut away many times.
the aired show lasts 30 minutes of 1 hour of air time, the audience is
there 3 hours. FoodTV is strictly a showcase for kitchen products...
many of the restaurants purportedly owned by the personalities are in
fact owned and supported by the kitchen products advertizers... real
commercial kitchens don't use $300 sauce pans, etc... designer
kitchens is real big business but FoodTV is FAKE, all of it.