Santiago G.H.

Default Spanish wine and sherry

Warren Place > wrote in
:

> I'm planning to visit Spain and wondering what sherry (jerez) I should
> look for?
> I plan to visit Madrid, Granada and Jerez. I could probably pick up some
> sparkling wine (cava) and red (rioja) too.

Warren,

If Madrid is your entrance and exit point to your visit to Spain, I
strongly suggest that you reserve a couple of hours in your last day and
visit Lavinia in 16, Ortega y Gasset, close to Plaza Colón. Not only they
have an excellent selection of Spanish wine, but the people working there
are knowleadgeable about wine. ALso, if you plan to buy sherry, freshness
is an important issue, their stocks do rotate and they keep the wine in
good condition (clima-controlled). They are not cheap, but you get the best
service in Spain. They will also pack the wine properly for a trip, using
bottle-packs so the wine does not suffer.

Best,

Santiago