Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dimitri Dimitri is offline

Default Reducing Espagnol

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
> Made two gallons of veal stock with a nice body and taste and then
> went on to make Sauce Espagnol.
> The instructions were to reduce by half or simmer for an hour.
>
> An hour passed and it wasn't reduced by half and the taste just didn't
> seem finished, so I continued.
>
> I reduced six cups of stock to two cups of Sauce. I like the taste,
> but don't know if I went too far.
>
> Any guideline for how much to reduce? - Mike

1 Follow the recipe for volume not time
2. Be sure the base is uncovered so steam can escape
3. In my experience a low fire seems to reduce more quickly then a rapid
boil ..
4. Watch the bubbles the size and speed will indicate how close you are
to burning. very small very rapid = ready to burn

--
Dimitri

Chicken Loaf

http://kitchenguide.wordpress.com.