Posted to rec.food.preserving
Pete[_14_] Pete[_14_] is offline

Default Making hash browns early for a crowd

On Apr 3, 9:46*pm, "Wallace" > wrote:
> "Pete" > wrote in message

> On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, Brian Mailman > wrote:
>
> > Pete wrote:
> > > I have been asked to make hash browns for a benefit at a VFW. Expected
> > > attendance is about 300 people. That's a lot of potatoes. I want to
> > > make them a day or 2 or 3 early and heat them up as needed on the day
> > > of the benefit. What is the best way to preserve them and reheat them
> > > for the day of the event? I can use their facilities for cooking.

> > Freezing.

> > What's the equipment you have for reheating? Grill (aka "flat top"),
> > range (home or industrial), large pans... what?

> > B/

> I am thinking of using the oven and reheating them on cookie sheets.
> The grill
> will be busy cooking eggs as ordered. I don't know who is cooking the
> eggs.
> Hopefully not me. *I got enough on my hands.
>
> Well, if they are going to try to cook eggs on a grill . . . *Oh, you mean
> GRIDDLE!
>
> ok. *Well, I would grab the griddle ahead of time and cook off the hash
> browns. Won't you get a better brown on the griddle rather than in the oven?
> Then, keep them in a hold oven (200 degrees) until service. *If possible,
> blast them again on the griddle just before you serve.
>
> How fast will these 300 meals be going out? *that might make a difference in
> your planning.
>
> If I were doing the eggs, I'd be using several good non-stick pans. *Maybe
> quite a few, depending on how fast the entire 300 were to be sent out.

It will open at 7 and go to probably about noon. I don't know how
many will be cooking the eggs. I hope at least six. The hash browns
will be pre cooked and reheated in the oven. Then put in large pans
for serving after they get their eggs cooked to order. Choices will be
O/E, O/M, O/H or scrambled. The meat, bacon or sausage patties too
will be cooked and reheated. Just glad I will not be cooking eggs. I
have a hard time flipping eggs for an O/E style.

Will be a busy day.. I don't particiapte in clean up. I will have done
enough.......