Posted to rec.food.preserving
Wallace Wallace is offline

Default Making hash browns early for a crowd

"Pete" > wrote in message
On Apr 3, 2:36 pm, Brian Mailman > wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > I have been asked to make hash browns for a benefit at a VFW. Expected
> > attendance is about 300 people. That's a lot of potatoes. I want to
> > make them a day or 2 or 3 early and heat them up as needed on the day
> > of the benefit. What is the best way to preserve them and reheat them
> > for the day of the event? I can use their facilities for cooking.

> Freezing.
>
> What's the equipment you have for reheating? Grill (aka "flat top"),
> range (home or industrial), large pans... what?
>
> B/

I am thinking of using the oven and reheating them on cookie sheets.
The grill
will be busy cooking eggs as ordered. I don't know who is cooking the
eggs.
Hopefully not me. I got enough on my hands.

Well, if they are going to try to cook eggs on a grill . . . Oh, you mean
GRIDDLE!

ok. Well, I would grab the griddle ahead of time and cook off the hash
browns. Won't you get a better brown on the griddle rather than in the oven?
Then, keep them in a hold oven (200 degrees) until service. If possible,
blast them again on the griddle just before you serve.

How fast will these 300 meals be going out? that might make a difference in
your planning.

If I were doing the eggs, I'd be using several good non-stick pans. Maybe
quite a few, depending on how fast the entire 300 were to be sent out.