Posted to rec.food.preserving
Pete[_14_] Pete[_14_] is offline

Default Making hash browns early for a crowd

On Apr 3, 2:40*pm, "gloria.p" > wrote:
> Pete wrote:
> > I have been asked to make hash browns for a benefit at a VFW. Expected
> > attendance is about 300 people. That's a lot of potatoes. *I want to
> > make them a day or 2 or 3 early and heat them up as needed on the day
> > of the benefit. *What is the best way to preserve them and reheat them
> > for the day of the event? *I can use their facilities for cooking.

> How will you ever peel and chop them all? *I'd go to a wholesale
> restaurant food supply store and buy frozen hash browns, with the prep
> done and just the cooking left. *You could cook them on a big griddle if
> available, or on shallow baking sheets in the oven. *That's not an easy
> dish for that size crowd.
>
> gloria p

I use fresh potaotes. There will be volunteers to help scrub and chop
them. They will not be peeled though.
Reheating them on cookie sheets sounds like a good idea to me.
I have a great seasoning for these, which is why I got asked to make
these for this benefit. It seems I always
get the difficult task in volunteer activities. I am happy though to
help out