Dale Williams

Default Ducru Beaucaillou St. Julien Questions and other ramblings

In article >, "Walter L. Preuninger II"
> writes:

>1985 Ducru Beaucaillou,St. Julien for
>USD $119. I can get a couple of bottles for $45 of futures 2001.
>
>I want to pick up a almost once in a life time wine, related to our life
>together. So, do I go for the $1985 and get one bottle, a couple of $45
>2001's, or wait on the 2002? I don't mind any of the three, I just want to
>know that I get the best wine I can. I could not find and 2002 Penfolds
>Grange. What would yall's recommendation be?

2002 futures prices in general are running a bit less than 2001. So why not 3
bottles of Ducru from the year you were married? If you have decent storage,
even if 2002 should turn out as a forward year, they should last 10+ years
(5th, 10th, and 15th anniversaries? - just be alert to reports of closed down
wines). My limited experience is that most '85s are towards their peak, but at
a store tasting last year '85 Ducru seemed like it could use more time.

>In other ramblings, while in New York I picked up a couple of bottles of
>1999 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese. I found more at
>www.specsonline.com in Houston, Texas. It's GREAT! So, I decided to pick up
>a few bottles of 2002 Joh. Jos. Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Spätlese on
>pre-arrival. I paid $28.50. Is this a good price? Not that I am buying as
>an investment, but how high in value can it go realistically? I am hearing
>that 2002 is as good or better than Germany's 2001

Not enough 2002 tastings to make own judgement, have heard differing reports. I
think Anders posted a report here not long ago, very good but needs careful
choosing if I recall correctly. $28.50 for the JJ Prüm Spätlese sounds like a
good price, low-average I'd say. I don't usually speculate re future value, but
will say as a generally Kabinett to Spätlesen level wines seldom excite the
investor types, so doubt it will ever appreciate mightily. Buy now not for
financial reasons, just because these wines can be hard to find after release.

Be well, best to Alison.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply