Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Truffles

On 30/03/2010 2:59 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> Krypsis wrote:

<snip>

>> Let me know what you think of them.

> Okay, just have to wait until around August...

Is that the truffle season??

<snip>

>> Watch out... I was having a look at the state forests east of Lonny on
>> Google Maps. Looks like they are taking to them with chainsaws! Lots of
>> freshly cleared areas there nowadays. I had a recent filght to Hobart
>> and was amazed at how much of the native forest was gone. I recall areas
>> from 30 - 50 years ago where all you would see was one continuous vista
>> of trees. Now those vistas are getting decidedly patchy. Whole swathes
>> of forest gone!!!

> That's right. Tasmania is still incredibly beautiful, with a comfortable
> lifestyle and is a foodies paradise - but I give it about 50 years
> before they rape the place beyond recovery. You can thank Gunns for
> apparently owning nearly every politician for that. Gunns think they own
> Tasmania... there are also many viable farms being bought out or leased
> by Gunns who are planting mile after mile of hybrid Blue Gums... then

Isn't that the gum variety I've read about that's leaching toxins into
the groundwater and river systems over there?

> they spray the lot with herbicides, and then kill off all the wallabies

Don't need pesticide if the trees are capable of producing their own
variety of toxins.

> and roos using either poison, or hire ppl to shoot them - many of whom
> couldnt care less if they kill the animals outright or just mortally
> wound them. The monoculture of Blue Gums also means all other wildlife
> dies out as well.

I don't know which is worse, a monoculture of hybrid blue gums or a
monoculture of pines. Either way, the native forests will never
regenerate as they once were.

> At least in my lifetime, it'll still be pristine where it matters (for
> me)... mostly.

Luckily you put that rider in there!

<snip>

Good to see you're booked!

This time of year there's no other way than prebooking. Even when I did
book early, I was told that it was getting tight and options were
disappearing. For instance, I'd have like a porthole cabin on both legs
of the journey but could only manage that one way. Mostly for the kids,
I don't mind internal cabins as long as I get my sleep.

>>> Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a

>> Lots of cheapies here at the moment, all hail damaged! ;-) Tennis ball
>> sized hailstones!!!

> LOL, yeah, I guess there would be!

Of course you would be getting a car that is decidedly second hand even
though it's never been on the road. Some of the damaged cars I have seen
on television look absolutely wrecked. I think I'd prefer a pristine new
one.

> <snip>
>
>>> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

>> Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
>> worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
>> not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
>> back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
>> noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
>> the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
>> country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
>> in a like manner.

> It's a bit different now, although it still has something of a country
> feel.

I guess I will soon find out! Probably drop into Lonny on the way back
to the ferry. Will have more time on the return. Might even have a look
and see if the city centre has changed much over the years.

Krypsis