Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_3_] Jeßus[_3_] is offline

Default Truffles

Krypsis wrote:
> On 25/03/2010 2:24 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> Krypsis wrote:
>>>
>>> <snip>

>>> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

>> You could well be right for all I know - not having any previous
>> experience with them.

> Ditto for me. They would want to taste fantastic to compensate for their
> appearance! ;-)
>
>> BTW, that's all that is left of them... down to about half of one
>> truffle left now.

> Ah, so you decided you like them then?
>>
>> I do like them, they certainly take scrambled eggs to a different level.
>> But I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for them - maybe occasionally
>> perhaps. I think the local truffles are in season around August, I'll be
>> sure to buy at least one of those and see what I think then whether
>> they're worth buying or not.

> Let me know what you think of them.

Okay, just have to wait until around August...

<snip>

>>> St Helens is a bit too remote for me. Born and raised a city boy here in
>>> Melbourne, I found it far too quiet when we stayed in the area for a
>>> week.

>> LOL. If you found St Helens a little too remote, then you certainly
>> wouldn't like where I am now
>> There isn't even a town here at all... I am surrounded by state forest.

> You got that right! Born a city boy, always a city boy.
> I don't mind communing with nature but not on a full time basis.

Fair enough...

>>> Did you move to a property along the Tamar? It's really nice along
>>> there. We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
>>> meant leaving all the family behind.

>> No, I'm still well to the east of Launy, but the Tamar Valley is also
>> very nice - albeit a bit too populated for me.
>> I really wanted to be isolated from any degree of rat race, and I
>> certainly got what I wanted.
>>

> Watch out... I was having a look at the state forests east of Lonny on
> Google Maps. Looks like they are taking to them with chainsaws! Lots of
> freshly cleared areas there nowadays. I had a recent filght to Hobart
> and was amazed at how much of the native forest was gone. I recall areas
> from 30 - 50 years ago where all you would see was one continuous vista
> of trees. Now those vistas are getting decidedly patchy. Whole swathes
> of forest gone!!!

That's right. Tasmania is still incredibly beautiful, with a comfortable
lifestyle and is a foodies paradise - but I give it about 50 years
before they rape the place beyond recovery. You can thank Gunns for
apparently owning nearly every politician for that. Gunns think they own
Tasmania... there are also many viable farms being bought out or leased
by Gunns who are planting mile after mile of hybrid Blue Gums... then
they spray the lot with herbicides, and then kill off all the wallabies
and roos using either poison, or hire ppl to shoot them - many of whom
couldnt care less if they kill the animals outright or just mortally
wound them. The monoculture of Blue Gums also means all other wildlife
dies out as well.

At least in my lifetime, it'll still be pristine where it matters (for
me)... mostly.

<snip>

>>> We're taking the opportunity to take a couple of the great grandkids
>>> over to Tassie for the Easter break. Going on the ferry, a new
>>> experience for the kids.

>> Be sure to book ASAP if you haven't already. In fact it may well be too
>> late now...
>> The boats have frequently been booked out lately.

> I booked and paid for it ages back. Only my wife and I were travelling
> at first. I was worried when we had to add the kids in and go from a 2
> berth cabin to a 4 berth. It was getting quite tight then (4 weeks back)
> but they managed to accommodate us. Had to change the vehicle too as we
> were originally going to travel in our small runabout. Now we're going
> in a borrowed crewcab utility as our runabout wouldn't have had enough
> room for our stuff and the kids. Now we have space to spare! ;-)
> When I went to alter the booking, I drove down to the booking office at
> the ferry terminal. Much easier to talk to a real person when you need
> to make major changes. As well, a smile and polite chitchat helps the
> process when things are tight. Hard to smile over a phone I've found.

Good to see you're booked!

>> Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a

> Lots of cheapies here at the moment, all hail damaged! ;-) Tennis ball
> sized hailstones!!!

LOL, yeah, I guess there would be!

<snip>

>> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

> Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
> worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
> not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
> back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
> noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
> the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
> country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
> in a like manner.

It's a bit different now, although it still has something of a country feel.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw