Dana Myers

Default Does Champagne go bad?

Clyde Gill wrote:

>>When someone asks for Chablis like that, that's a clear opportunity
>>to educate that person in a helpful way.

> We pride ourselves in how we help educate our customers. What I've
> found that is most important is to not treat everyone the same. Some
> people will want to know the difference, others don't care to hear it.

Yup. There's almost nothing worse than having a canned speech you
give to everyone regardless of interest. They do that at Disneyland.
Offer a little more politely and see who wants it. Another poor practice
I've seen is when someone in hospitality is on a mission, like one guy
I once saw lecture several customers about spitting ("you can taste wine
all day if you discretely spit"). He was right, but it wasn't what the
customers wanted or needed to hear. Sometimes customers *want* to know
the etiquette of spitting - finding out which is which is the fun.

> Visiting our winery affords the opportunity to speak with either the
> viticulturist or the enologist, which is relatively rare for this
> area. What I say on the usenet is usually a world away from what I'd
> say to the customer. Here is where I air my concerns and vent my
> frustrations so it doesn't end up happening in the salesroom!

Heh. I've read some pretty harrowing things here. Like the story
about Merlawtinger at Sequoia Grove...

>>Most customers don't need a lecture, most customers are happy to learn
>>new things when not made to feel stupid in the process.
>>

> Think of me as your customer.
>
> Sounds like this is or was your field. May I ask what your experience
> is with customers?

Primarily corporate. By day, I'm usually a senior engineer with a
great deal of customer contact. I've poured wine a few times, too.

Dana