Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default To brine a turkey

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:06:36 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
>>In article
>,
>> tutall > wrote:

>>> This is laughable. Reality check: you can't erase your past. You can
>>> attempt to overcome it, sometimes. In your case I strongly suggest you
>>> never post about salts or brines ever again. Just stop, you don't know
>>> shit about it, you are unable to learn about it, you are like a frozen
>>> piece of meat in a brine; you absorb nothing useful.
>>>
>>> Just shut the **** up when brines are discussed you dumbshit and
>>> everyone will be better off. Hell, we might consider it a sign that
>>> you're evolving into something better than useless. But as long as you
>>> keep on keep on insisting on spouting bullshit, that's a sure signal
>>> you prefer your stupidity over anything else are you will continue to
>>> be regarded that way.
>>>
>>> Stupidity is one thing, but being a danger to others is something else
>>> entirely. Just STFU on anything salt related.

>>Hey now, cut him some slack! Everybody has a right to admit that they
>>may have been in error and have learned... :-)
>>
>>I've done that myself!

> Ah, but that is not what he did. He argued with everyone under the
> sun, refused to be pointed in the righ direction, told people that
> they were stupid, questioned parentage, and over a LOOOOONNNGGGG time
> refused to admit he was wrong.
>
> Now he is tellin all those people that wanted to know about safe
> brining that are not here to hear it "disregard all that unsafe,
> stupid crap that can kill you that I now say I was wrong about".
>
> Oh, and BTW. When he was "wrong", he was a real dick about it.
>
> So you can understand why ppl are telling him to STFU.
>
> And this is NOT the 1st item he was a total ass about.
>
> Just my 2 cents trying to set the record straight.
>
> Peace
>
> Gene

There is not an agreed upon safe brining temperature! There are a lot of
opinions, including yours. There's nothing based on studies using different
brine temperatures with different saline concentrations and acidities that
measure bacteria levels with specific meat products. The following fairly
erudite article says you can brine turkey in a garage at 40F.
http://www.recipetips.com/kitchen-ti...g-a-turkey.asp Scroll
down to "Brining Tips". Does the author know? I don't know. The article,
however, is a lot more credible than you've said.

For me this is all a moot point. As I said above, for the last five or so
years I have brined in a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.

Kent
If you decide to reply to my dialogue I would suggest a high colonic
irrigation before. You'll be much more rational.

Kent