Dana Myers

Default Does Champagne go bad?

Steve Grant wrote:
> "Dana Myers" > wrote in message news:3f9d802f$1@wobble...
>
>>Well, what's happened here is that a specific name has become generic.
>>It is, actually, a success problem. The examples that we most often
>>cite are of brand-names that have become generic (like Kleenex and Coke).

> I humbly suggest that you not try marketing products of your own design as
> "Kleenex" or "Coke" under the premise that the names have become "generic."
> You will get sued out of your underwear in no time flat. And you will lose.
> Quickly, massively, and decisively.

Of course. I know that but it doesn't stop the average consumer
from *using these terms generically*. That was my point. Sure,
there are litigations to attempt to preserve the brand-identity
of these brands, but they're taking place because the terms have
become generic. People walk up to a snack bar and ask for a coke,
and make a disparaging comment when I ask if Pepsi is OK, like I'm
stupid. I *have* to ask. You needn't lecture me on this point :-).

If "Champagne" wasn't a place but was a Gallo brand, we wouldn't
be having this exchange.

Dana