Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Truffles

>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

>> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

> Look like goat turds picked up in the back yard. Really.
>
> They could be *anything*, the pic is that crappy.

Goat turds? I hope they taste a tad better than that!!!

>> We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
>> meant leaving all the family behind.

> In some cases, that's not a bad thing :-)

In my case, it would be a dreadful thing. Love watching the grandkids
and the great grandkids grow up. One of the joys of life!

>> Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
>> place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
>> 1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
>> through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

> Yep.
>
> http://www.launcestoncataractgorge.c...chairlift.html
>

> I spent a bit of time in and around Lonny as well. I was using Shearwater as
> a base.

Is that the Shearwater near Devonport? I once had a quick flying visit
to a friend who lived at Port Sorell, a hamlet next to Shearwater. It's
much closer to Devonport than it is to Lonny. Had a conference to attend
at the Shearwater Resort so took the opportunity to visit my friend at
the same time. Nice resort! Lucky it's pretty much self contained as it
is not overly handy to anywhere except Devonport.

> When we moved our base down to Hobart, we met a lady in a shop in Richmond
> who was from Melbourne who took us, along with her friends, to her favourite
> Indian restaurant in Lonnie. It was nothing for her and her frinds to do that
> trip once a fortnight. Most Taswegians thought they were mad!!

Yes, a trip of more than 20 miles required much foreward planning. A
trip 0f ~120 miles would be a mind bender to the average Taswegian. A
day to drive up, a couple of days rest (hotel bookings, etc.) and
another day to drive back. I met people over there in the late 70's who
had never been more than 20 miles from their homes in their entire lives.
I trust the place has moved on since then.

> I did prefer Devonport to Lonny though.
> Spent more than a few days up on the rock wall near the lighthouse wetting a
> line :-)
>

>> I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
>> any more. After all, it was a long time back.
>>

> Wursthaus at Olivers??

After 30+ years, the name escapes me. It probably wouldn't be the same
name now after all this time, even in Tasmania where things move quite
slowly.. ;-)

> It's in the Quadrant Mall.

Is it a Mall now? I remember it was a little street, a quarter circle,
that went from one street to another. Pointless street really but
definitely quaint.

> When you go back over, are you going to stay 'up North'?? If so, do you like
> oysters....... really *big*, free oysters??

We will be down south for most of the time. We will be staying with
friends who moved over there when they retired. Can't say I like
oysters! Had some at Doyle's in Sydney in 73 and wasn't impressed. Never
had any since!

Krypsis