Posted to rec.food.cooking
Krypsis Krypsis is offline

Default Truffles

>>> http://i39.tinypic.com/jqonyg.jpg

>> Those truffles look a bit ordinary to me.

> You could well be right for all I know - not having any previous
> experience with them.

Ditto for me. They would want to taste fantastic to compensate for their
appearance! ;-)

> BTW, that's all that is left of them... down to about half of one
> truffle left now.

Ah, so you decided you like them then?

> I do like them, they certainly take scrambled eggs to a different level.
> But I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay for them - maybe occasionally
> perhaps. I think the local truffles are in season around August, I'll be
> sure to buy at least one of those and see what I think then whether
> they're worth buying or not.

Let me know what you think of them.

<snip>

>>> 1: Firstly, you don't know where I live. You don't know where I shop.
>>> How in the hell could you know, LOL.
>>> I moved from St Helens nearly *two years ago* when I found and bought
>>> this rural property.

>> St Helens is a bit too remote for me. Born and raised a city boy here in
>> Melbourne, I found it far too quiet when we stayed in the area for a
>> week.

> LOL. If you found St Helens a little too remote, then you certainly
> wouldn't like where I am now
> There isn't even a town here at all... I am surrounded by state forest.

You got that right! Born a city boy, always a city boy.
I don't mind communing with nature but not on a full time basis.

>> Did you move to a property along the Tamar? It's really nice along
>> there. We would have liked to retire there somewhere but that would have
>> meant leaving all the family behind.

> No, I'm still well to the east of Launy, but the Tamar Valley is also
> very nice - albeit a bit too populated for me.
> I really wanted to be isolated from any degree of rat race, and I
> certainly got what I wanted.

Watch out... I was having a look at the state forests east of Lonny on
Google Maps. Looks like they are taking to them with chainsaws! Lots of
freshly cleared areas there nowadays. I had a recent filght to Hobart
and was amazed at how much of the native forest was gone. I recall areas
from 30 - 50 years ago where all you would see was one continuous vista
of trees. Now those vistas are getting decidedly patchy. Whole swathes
of forest gone!!!

>>> 2: Secondly, you only occasionally visit Tasmania, and know a hell of a
>>> lot less about the place than you think you do.

>> We're taking the opportunity to take a couple of the great grandkids
>> over to Tassie for the Easter break. Going on the ferry, a new
>> experience for the kids.

> Be sure to book ASAP if you haven't already. In fact it may well be too
> late now...
> The boats have frequently been booked out lately.

I booked and paid for it ages back. Only my wife and I were travelling
at first. I was worried when we had to add the kids in and go from a 2
berth cabin to a 4 berth. It was getting quite tight then (4 weeks back)
but they managed to accommodate us. Had to change the vehicle too as we
were originally going to travel in our small runabout. Now we're going
in a borrowed crewcab utility as our runabout wouldn't have had enough
room for our stuff and the kids. Now we have space to spare! ;-)
When I went to alter the booking, I drove down to the booking office at
the ferry terminal. Much easier to talk to a real person when you need
to make major changes. As well, a smile and polite chitchat helps the
process when things are tight. Hard to smile over a phone I've found.

> Last November I bought a car in Melbourne - had to wait 11 days for a

Lots of cheapies here at the moment, all hail damaged! ;-) Tennis ball
sized hailstones!!!

> booking, so I headed up to Sydney and visited some relatives for the
> interim. There was some sort of Harley/biker event thing happening in
> Launy - there were seemingly thousands of them - they were the main
> reason the boat was so heavily booked at that time.

I expected bookings to be tight at Easter so I booked early. No
discounts too.

>>> 3: Third, you're relying on Google (yet again) to come up with names and
>>> places in a bid to engender the impression of knowledge. You're never
>>> going to grow out of doing that, are you?
>>>
>>> 4: I don't shop at St Helens. I shop in Launceston.
>>> Now, there's really only three decent delicatessens in Launy, perhaps

>> Ah, Lonny, know the place well. Had a nice big country town feel to the
>> place. Spent some time at the Immigration Offices there back in about
>> 1980. I daresay it hasn't changed a lot since. Used to love my walks
>> through the Cataract Gorge. Say, do they still have that chairlift there?

> Chairlift is still there. The Gorge is a nice place to visit, the g/f
> and I occasionally take some lunch there on the days I come in to get
> supplies, since it's virtually in the city. A nice little oasis.

We'll be spending most of our time down around Hobart. Might spend a bit
of time in Lonny on the way back to Devonport.

>> I used to frequent a deli in or near the Quadrant. Probably not there
>> any more. After all, it was a long time back.

> That's Wursthaus. A very good deli it is too. They have a couple of

Can't recall if that was the name it was called back then. Might be
worth having a look but I will be there on a public holiday so it may
not be open. From what I recall, Lonny had Saturday morning shopping
back in the late 70's. The city just seemed to die on Saturday at 12
noon precisely, all the shops shut their doors, and it remained dead for
the remainder of the weekend. That's why I felt it was like a big
country town as a lot of places here in rural Victoria and NSW operated
in a like manner.
Seem to recall Melbourne as a bit of a ghost town on Saturday afternoon
and Sunday back then as well. Not like that here now!!!

> other stores around Tassie, along with a place in Deloraine (I think
> it's in Deloraine?) where they make a lot of pates, sausages,
> liverwurst... that sort of thing.
>
> Hope you booked for that boat!

All done and dusted!!

Krypsis