Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jeßus[_3_] Jeßus[_3_] is offline

Default Truffles

Kent wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> The delicatessen I frequent was good enough to give me two Italian black
>> truffles to try last Friday. I've been searching around for some relevant
>> recipes using truffles, but really haven't found a whole lot that excites
>> me.
>>
>> I grated some over creamy scrambled eggs this morning... I loved it and
>> intend to have it that way again.
>>
>> I thought some of you may have some better ideas than I can find via
>> searching, as to some yummy recipes?
>>
>> I'd prefer simple, uncomplicated recipes that highlight the truffles. I'm
>> told these truffles I was given are just past their peak (no noticeable
>> ammonia smell as yet) but I was advised to used them up quickly.
>>
>> Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>

> They GAVE you two truffles?????

Yep, They're really good like that. I'm a regular customer and spend a
fair amount in there each week so I'm sure that's why. If I ask about
something whilst buying other stuff, they often give me some to try. I
was asking about when the local (Tasmanian) truffles are in season,
which led to these Italian ones. By my reckoning, I was given about $60
worth (AUD$1900/KG).

The local truffles sell for AUD$1700/KG. I have two friends who maintain
a truffle farm not too far away from here. The trees are only a few
years old, so not much in the way of truffles as yet (although they have
found a few). I can't wait for it to get into full swing.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw