Posted to rec.food.cooking
Giusi Giusi is offline

Default Truffles

"Omelet" < ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Giusi" > wrote:

>> You CANNOT make truffle oil at home.

> Okay, how about infusing some into white vinegar? :-)

What do you think would be left of the truffle perfume? If there were
reasonable ways to preserve truffles, surely the Italians who have them over
1/3 of the country would do it? They now do dried ones. I'm not wasting my
euro on them.
I was hired by a Chinese firm some years back to develop recipes using their
dried truffles. In the end I decided that the only way I could get them to
taste like truffles was to drip some Italian truffle oil over the dish when
it was done. I later read they are fed to livestock there. They were just
trying to see if they could make more off them than the cows were willing to
pay.