Rona Yuthasastrakosol

Default substituting goat's milk in cooking

"Larry" > wrote in message
m...

> I raise goats, some for meat and some for milk and have used goats
> milk interchangably with cows and have noticed no diffrernce unless -
> The goats have been with a buck or are downwind of a buck.
> The goats have been eating medicated feed, some of which leaves a
> nasty aftertaste. Wild onions in the pasture also leave a taste.
> If the source of your milk is controlling for the above the milk
> should work like cows milk but a bit higher in butterfat. Hope this
> helps.
> Larry

Thanks. I don't know much about the goat's milk we buy since there is
typically only one brand available in my city. I would guess, though, that
medicated feed might be likely since this milk is found in large
supermarkets, and it isn't marked as organic or anything like that. It
tastes fine, though, and I haven't noticed any aftertaste. I thought goat's
milk would taste different, but I don't notice much of a difference. I
haven't tried cooking or baking with it, yet, but now that I know there
shouldn't be a difference, I'll definitely try it!

BTW, do you know if there's a goat's milk heavy cream (or any other kind of
cream) available? I haven't found any in my supermarket, but I haven't been
to some of the health food or organic food stores, yet. I would think they
would be more likely to carry something like that than a large chain
supermarket.

Thanks again for the info!

rona