Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Gene Gene is offline

Default OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post

>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076888/On Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:26:04 -0700, "Kent" > wrote:

>"Gene" > wrote in message

snip

>> Gene
>>

>Do you rinse the potato before you cut it into fries or after

Before, just to get any outside shit off them.

I don't
>think it makes sense to rinse the cut potatoes. We all use russets because
>they have a high starch content. Washing washes the starch away.

Wrong. The potato is made up of starch.

The starch
>on the surface of the potato is what makes it crisp.

Nope. Frying in hot oil makes it chrisp.

I peel, cut, and dry
>thoroughly with paper towels; then it goes into the oil for the first fry.
>Russets have varying degrees of starch content. Old russets potatoes have
>worked best for me, I think because of the higher starch content.

I use what I have on hand, old, newer, does not seem to make a
difference. I also dry after cutting.

>I've always had the best success with peanut oil as it will go to a higher
>temp. without breaking down. It has, however, a slight taste. It's become
>expensive. Potatoes fried in goose fat are somewhat of a delicacy in France.
>We tend to substitute duck fat for goose fat in this country.

I am talking French Fries here. Beef lard rules.

>Kent

Gene

Gene

http://www.nowyourcooking.net/