Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Brick[_3_] Brick[_3_] is offline

Default Citrus wood running out of my ears...

On 18-Mar-2010, JeffH > wrote:

> On Mar 17, 12:25*am, TFM® > wrote:
>
> > Any ideas on coal production would be readily welcomed. *Keep in mind I
> > live
> > in town and huge fires are frowned upon.

> I'm assuming you mean charcoal - there seems to be some confusion in
> the thread on that point. If not, disregard, but if so...
>
> I always liked this method - not that I've tried any methods myself,
> but this one made the most sense to me:
> http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMI...20CHARCOAL.htm
>
> basically seal the wood up in a 55 gal drum with a removable head and
> a 2" pipe fitting in it, route the pipe by means of a few 90 elbows so
> it goes back under the (horizontal) barrel, with some holes drilled
> along the pipe's length (under the barrel) and a cap at the end. Start
> a fire under it; the wood heats up, gives off gas, the gas ignites out
> the holes, and it begins to power itself until all the gases are
> burned out of the wood. What's left is charcoal.
>
> The site says you can get away with it in town - however I think my
> town wouldn't be very tolerant of it since I don't have the ability to
> "hide" such a thing. But maybe apply the same logic to a smaller
> vessel.
>
> -Jeff

I read about a rig modelled around your description. The individual
that built it also built a block enclosure around it. He said that when
it got going, you could hear it for a couple of blocks. It lit up the
night and made a lot of noise.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)