Posted to alt.food.barbecue
JeffH[_2_] JeffH[_2_] is offline

Default Citrus wood running out of my ears...

On Mar 17, 12:25*am, TFM® > wrote:

> Any ideas on coal production would be readily welcomed. *Keep in mind I live
> in town and huge fires are frowned upon.

I'm assuming you mean charcoal - there seems to be some confusion in
the thread on that point. If not, disregard, but if so...

I always liked this method - not that I've tried any methods myself,
but this one made the most sense to me:
http://www.twinoaksforge.com/BLADSMI...20CHARCOAL.htm

basically seal the wood up in a 55 gal drum with a removable head and
a 2" pipe fitting in it, route the pipe by means of a few 90 elbows so
it goes back under the (horizontal) barrel, with some holes drilled
along the pipe's length (under the barrel) and a cap at the end. Start
a fire under it; the wood heats up, gives off gas, the gas ignites out
the holes, and it begins to power itself until all the gases are
burned out of the wood. What's left is charcoal.

The site says you can get away with it in town - however I think my
town wouldn't be very tolerant of it since I don't have the ability to
"hide" such a thing. But maybe apply the same logic to a smaller
vessel.

-Jeff