Posted to alt.food.diabetic
W. Baker W. Baker is offline

Default Corned Beef and Cabbage

Ozgirl > wrote:
: W. Baker wrote:
: > Ozgirl > wrote:
: >> Cheri wrote:
: >>> I decided to make this today, it's starting to smell good. Later I
: >>> will add cabbage, a few small red potatoes and carrots for my DH. I
: >>> also made 1/2 of a recipe for soda bread for him. We're not Irish
: >>> that we know of, but could be a bit on both sides I suppose. Anyway,
: >>> tomorrow I will have some sliced corned beef and swiss cheese for
: >>> lunch. I don't like the seasoning that comes with it, but I sure do
: >>> like it without the seasoning packet. Happy St. Patrick's Day
: >>> everyone.
: >>> Cheri
: >
: >> Not sure what this seasoning packet is that you talk of
: >> Traditionally (when we had corned beef growing up) we had boiled
: >> corned beef (usually with onion, celery, cloves and bay leaves) and
: >> sides were cabbage, carrots, and mashed potato. White parsley sauce
: >> was used. Here is a recipe that is pretty close to what we had.
: >
: >> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9702/corned+beef
: >
: >> Don't recall ever using the peppercorns or turnips. Cabbage of
: >> course was used instead of beans. We never used garlic in anything.
: >> First time I used garlic personally was when I was first married.
: >
: >
: > I never saw a flavor or spice packet, just some pickling spice on the
: > beef in the cryovac package it is sold in. I rinsed mine adn put it
: > in a large pot with water to cover well and a large onion. When it
: > was mostly cooked I put in big carrot chunks and boiling potatoes,
: > with the cabbage going in only about 10 minutes before finishing. I
: > had prepared resch beets(beetroot) the day before and dunken them in
: > the water AFTER removing the meat and other vegetables so they
: > wouldn't bleed all over them, I served this hot, with mustard and my
: > granddaughter who had never had an of this bfore liked the meat,
: > potatoes and cabbage(she is not big on carrots) and even had seconds
: > on the beets! I hand't made this for years and it was a great hit
: > with the family.
: >
: > Wendy

: I have never bought corned beef in any way other than fresh from the
: butcher, usually sitting in a shallow dish of pickling brine. So these
: sachet flavourings etc are a new thing for me to hear about. The last time I
: bought corned beef I roasted it, wonderful flavoursome result.

I have never seen on either. the cryovac packet are he way my on-line
butcher delivers all the meat you order. Inside he bag was the meat in a
little brine with all the pickling spices.

My brother used to rost corned beef and found it a great dish for a casual
party.

Wendy