Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Corned Beef and Cabbage

Cheri wrote:
> I decided to make this today, it's starting to smell good. Later I
> will add cabbage, a few small red potatoes and carrots for my DH. I
> also made 1/2 of a recipe for soda bread for him. We're not Irish
> that we know of, but could be a bit on both sides I suppose. Anyway,
> tomorrow I will have some sliced corned beef and swiss cheese for
> lunch. I don't like the seasoning that comes with it, but I sure do
> like it without the seasoning packet. Happy St. Patrick's Day
> everyone.
> Cheri

Not sure what this seasoning packet is that you talk of Traditionally
(when we had corned beef growing up) we had boiled corned beef (usually with
onion, celery, cloves and bay leaves) and sides were cabbage, carrots, and
mashed potato. White parsley sauce was used. Here is a recipe that is pretty
close to what we had.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/9702/corned+beef

Don't recall ever using the peppercorns or turnips. Cabbage of course was
used instead of beans. We never used garlic in anything. First time I used
garlic personally was when I was first married.