Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent[_2_] Kent[_2_] is offline

Default OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post

"Gene" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 02:21:50 GMT, "Brick"
> > wrote:

>>> [snip]

>>> Use Russets, old Russets with a high starch content. Don't rinse or soak
>>> them. Do a two stage fry, the first at about 325 for ten minutes. Then
>>> heat
>>> oil to 365F or as high as it will go without oil breakdown. Put the
>>> fries
>>> in
>>> for the second round, as long as it takes to crisp up.
>>>
>>> Kent

>>I abandoned that procedure a couple of years ago. It doesn't achieve
>>my description of the perfect fry.

> I use russets Brick. I rinse them well, hand cut with skin on, and pat
> dry well.
>
> 1st fry is at 275-300 till almost limp. I then set them aside to cool.
>
> 2nd fry at 375. They are done when they reach the desired doneness or
> float, which ever you prefer.
>
> For me, perfect.
>
> It also helps LOTS if you can fry them in BEEF LARD. Bad for you I
> know, but once a year I say, F*ck it:.
>
> Duck fat might be tasty, but I do not know for sure.
>
> Gene

Do you rinse the potato before you cut it into fries or after? I don't
think it makes sense to rinse the cut potatoes. We all use russets because
they have a high starch content. Washing washes the starch away. The starch
on the surface of the potato is what makes it crisp. I peel, cut, and dry
thoroughly with paper towels; then it goes into the oil for the first fry.
Russets have varying degrees of starch content. Old russets potatoes have
worked best for me, I think because of the higher starch content.

I've always had the best success with peanut oil as it will go to a higher
temp. without breaking down. It has, however, a slight taste. It's become
expensive. Potatoes fried in goose fat are somewhat of a delicacy in France.
We tend to substitute duck fat for goose fat in this country.

Kent