Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Nonny Nonny is offline

Default Experiment

"Nunya Bidnits" > wrote in
message ...
> Nonny said:
>> Marty's suggestion has been implemented in a modest fashion.
>> This
>> afternoon, a friend and I placed two slices of white bread into
>> separate baggies and also 2 servings of shredded cheese into
>> another couple of bags. After labeling, one of the bread and
>> one
>> of the cheese baggies was purged with nitrogen gas and sealed.
>> The others were simply sealed with ambient air inside. They
>> are
>> in a corner, on the countertop, and I'll report on how fast the
>> contents turn green.

> OK, Devil's Advocate here...
>
> Wouldn't it be cheaper and simpler to just buy some of those
> green bags that
> are supposed to preserve foods longer? Or do they only work on
> produce?
>
> MartyB

I'm of the impression that they have a coating that absorbs
ethylene gas. It's the gas given off by that "one rotten apple"
that spoils a barrel, so to speak. What I'm attempting to do is
create a pretty good anaerobic environment that will discourage
the growth of molds. I think that's what a vacuum does, also.
We'll see.

--
Nonny
When we talk to God, we're praying,