Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Mort Mort is offline

Default OT -Deep fryer warning - long, boring post

Nunya Bidnits wrote:

> Mort said:
>

>>>So the breaded stuff doesn't just get all soggy in the fridge
>>>overnight lying there only half cooked? It's definitely
>>>counterintuitive. But hey, I'll try anything, so the next batch of
>>>O-rings or panko/tempura shrimp I'll try it on a batch.
>>>
>>>MartyB
>>>

>>It gets totally soggy. You reach into the bag to drop
>>the first piece in the fryer and you think, "I'm
>>screwed". Then when it comes out of the oil it's as
>>good as new.

> Can you be more specific about the two stage cook please... especially what
> time and temp you might use in the first stage for wet breaded, vs. dry
> breaded (non-batter) vs bare, such as fries? Or is it all about the same?
>
> MartyB

Typically it 325-350 F for the first stage. Look for early stages
of golden brown ness, but don't cook all the way.

Stage 2 cook it higher, like 360-380 F. It usually goes pretty
fast.

I don't think in terms of time, myself. Like Q it depends on
so many different factors. With deep frying the initial temp
can make such a big difference. Something coming right out
of the fridge can take almost twice as long as something at
room temp.

--
Mort