Dale Williams

Default On cheese and wine

Congratulations on the anniversary. Glad the Loire Cab Franc was good.

As to cheese matches:
I prefer Sauternes or maybe Tokaji with Roquefort. I think Port does better
with Stilton (something about the firmer drier texture).
Sauvignon Blanc is my first instinct with goat cheese. With more mature ones I
go for a bigger SB, or a lighter red if I'm feeling like taking a chance.
Manchego is a cheese I find goes well with big reds, or with Port. Aged Gouda
and cheddar also do well with bigger reds.
Munster goes well with late-harvest Alsaces, esp. Pinot Gris or Gewürztraminer.
I find Epoisses and red Burgundy a good match, others here find it repugnant.
Most Emmenthal around here is low quality, I've had a couple of good ones, but
not enough to say a match.

Best,
Dale

Dale Williams