Posted to rec.food.cooking
Goomba[_2_] Goomba[_2_] is offline

Default Ideas For A Deli Menu

ImStillMags wrote:

> I think first your friend has to decide what kind of deli he
> wants......New York style? kosher? limited menu? soup and
> sandwich ?
>
> I owned a deli for 13 years, mine was breakfast and lunch but we were
> not the kosher New York style deli, we had
> table service, full breakfast, and a fairly extensive lunch menu with
> lunch specials, etc.
>
> It all depends on the neighborhood, the location, and what your
> friends wants to accomplish.

One of my favorite places to go to has a simple menu. Each day of the
week has a soup of the day (Chili, Chicken Noodle, Dutch Split Pea,
Potato..can't remember any others) and a selection of about 6
sandwiches. The bread is dense, chewey rye or sourdough or something
equally interesting. You can get a cup or bowl of soup and either a half
or whole sandwich, and some great "sunshine tea" (aka an Arnold Palmer,
half sweet tea and half lemonade) to wash it down with. The simplicity
of the menu with the high quality of the food makes this place a long
standing success.