Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Ideas For A Deli Menu

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010 07:43:05 -0500, "Nancy Young"
> wrote:

> My favorite deli had great sandwiches that people would come
> from miles around to order. They had their signature crusty bread
> and they had a nice assortment of salads you could order with it.

One place I worked at had an Italian owned deli across the street.
They would bring out trays of freshly baked chickens between 11:30 and
12:00 daily. People lined up for those (warm) chicken sandwiches, the
meat was always sooo juicy and delicious! I'd order mine on a length
of sourdough baguette. Each day, they had a different home made pasta
and polenta with gravy on Wednesday. Everyone knew what day their
favorite item was being served. Oh, man... that deli was a gem!

Later, I worked across the street from a small grocery with a deli
counter. The proprietors were from Jordan. I'd tell them about the
Italian place every so often. They finally took the hint and made
their own delicacies, which was what really drew in the customers. I
loved their falafel sandwiches! I just ate at Falafel Drive In
(featured on Diner's Drive In's and Dives) this week and although
their falafels were very good, their over all sandwich wasn't as good
as the little corner store's. Falafel Drive In had an extremely
efficient way to keep a long line of customers moving though. Glasses
of water were prepared and ready to go, not sure how they handled the
banana shakes but the sandwiches were made to order. There was only
one window, but they moved the line.

So, along with the usual deli items, I think specialty items offered
once a week on a regular basis is the way to keep customers interested
and returning.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.