Ian Hoare

Default Wine in Venice

Salut/Hi Dale Williams,

Thanks!

le/on 05 Oct 2003 03:47:36 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>In article k.net>, "dick"
> writes:

I might have expected Dick would come roaring in here.

>>he the poster asked for clarification
>>before he were to respond...was there any harm in his asking for
>>clarification?

>>Then for his asking he in essence gets bashed. I think that is rude and
>>inappropiate behavior.

I'm afraid that Dick's perspective on this is extremely Americo-centric and
unhelpful. It's typically inaccurate as well.

>Dimitri (not a new poster, been around for a while, btw ,

Certainly. Did Dick suggest otherwise (he's still in my kill file, so I
only ever read him via others' quotes)?

>Personally, though I live within US, I have never heard someone outside of
>Florida or California refer to an unqualified "Venice" and not mean Venice,
>Italy. Maybe we could have our first ever AFW public opinion poll. Everyone ask
>5 acquaintances what they would think of a trip to Venice. See which Venice
>people think they're talking about.

There's not much point in us Europeans taking part, as I don't think anyone
over here had even _heard_ of either of these two American towns (honestly
- I'm not being in any way snide or unpleasant) before this episode.

> In any case I think that AFW can do without without namecalling and derision. Even if we disagree
> let's try to be semi-mature about it. Thanks all.

One reason I killfiled Neidich, is because he seems unable to tolerate what
he sees as criticism of the US (though why this thread should be so
conisidered is beyond me) without descending to name calling. I don't
regard it as anti-British because Americans have never heard of Washington
Tyne & Wear (whew, finally spelled it right).

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks