Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Ideas For A Deli Menu

On Mar 10, 9:01 pm, Anthony 527 > wrote:
> A friend of mine is buying a run down liquor store deli and is going
> to renovate and make it new. Besides all the usual cold cuts and
> sloppy joes and soup can anyone suggest something different that is
> profitable and tastes good or any ideas at all.
> Thank You

Although I am surrounded by grocery stores, restaurants, taquerias and
fast food joints there is no deli anywhere near my neighborhood, so I
can tell you what I think of when I wish we had one, and that's
quality. I can get cold cuts at the supermarket, so the deli should
offer better quality ones, especially the corned beef and the
pastrami. Offer a good variety of traditional breads, including a
good rye and a pumpernickel. National brand bagels suck and the one
(maybe two) places in L.A. that make good ones is not close, so the
deli should go there and get them for me. Have a jar of pickled eggs
on the counter along with the very best dill pickles you can find (or
make).

Want to offer something different? Make slaw from Brussels sprouts
(as Sheldon sometimes mentions); it's distinctive and really good.

Put a suggestion box out for the first six months and ask people to
tell you what they want you to stock. -aem