dick

Default Wine in Venice

Ian,

The original posting was as follows:

"I am looking for a reputable shop in Venice from which to purchase a case
of wine to provide for some clients. Can anyone here steer me in the right
direction?"

The original poster did not indicate at that time that he was visiting
Italy...therefore it was totally appropriate to request clarification.

With regards to your statement Ian:

> No arrogance to say that "Venice" unqualified implies Italy, just as
> "Washington" unqualified implies the capital of the USA and not a town in
> the UK _even_ if the UK one is by far older.

That is not really accurate. If someone said on Vacation in Italy I went
to Venice then I would understand. When a person in California says I was
in Venice last week...I would not assume Italy. Of if a person in Tampa
Florida said I spent 3 days in Venice on business...I would assume Florida
as Venice is south about 60 to 90 Miles.

Since you live in Europe you might have made assumptions that not all would
make depending upon their locations.

The sheer number of assaulting posts on this subject is shameful.

I think many owe an apology to D. Gerasimatos. His posts are not
argumentative but makes a valid point.

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
> Salut/Hi D. Gerasimatos,
>
> I'm sorry to see you take criticism so badly.
>
> le/on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 18:57:49 +0000 (UTC), tu disais/you said:-
>
> >Was it really necessary for a dozen people to show indignation that I
> >would ask? What would the peanut gallery have said if this guy really
> >*had* meant Venice, FL?

> >Which country do you think everythingvenice.com is inviting you to tour?

> Who cares. Travel companies and the Internet don't make up culture.
>
> >I am dismayed at the arrogance displayed here, but I guess that is to be
> >expected in a wine newsgroup.

> No arrogance to say that "Venice" unqualified implies Italy, just as
> "Washington" unqualified implies the capital of the USA and not a town in
> the UK _even_ if the UK one is by far older.
>
> >Here is an interesting question:

> >Where is the largest city named Newcastle in the world?

> Size isn't everything (as my Magnum murmurs to your Methusalem).
>
> >d. England

> Which one?
>
> Sorry, but there's world of difference between Venice and Newcastle, as
> anyone who likes music, art, sculpture, literature or knows any history

can