Mike Tommasi

Default Wine in Venice

On Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:12:50 +0000 (UTC),
(D. Gerasimatos) wrote:

>In article >,
>Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>>
>>Mmm, granted I am not objective, Venezia being my city, but it seems
>>to me that if someone does not specify, Venice is in Italy, just as
>>Berlin is in Germany and London in England... ;-)))

>No, you aren't objective. I typed "Venice" into Google. Of the first
>10 hits, 6 referenced the city in Italy, 2 referenced the city in
>Florida, and 2 referenced the city in California.

And what happened to Illinois? Seems like Google missed a few...

>Typing in "Venice wine" gave me 8 in Italy and 2 in Florida. Both Venice,
>FL and Venice, CA are destinations unlike, say, Paris, TX. Being in Italy
>perhaps you do not realize that.

Hi Dimitri

<JUST KIDDING>
I know it is not nice to call little places "little" or fat people
"fat", I apologize for the typically european arrogance of my reply,
apologies to the the mayors of Venice FL and CA, and Illinois too, I
did not intend to start some kind of spanish inquisition, any
belittling of the importance of their respective puny villages (sorry,
cities) in history and world affairs was absolutely unintentional. My
assuming that Venice meant Venice Italy is inexcusable, in the future
I shall look up Google and check if there can be any confusion between
the first place that comes to my small enfeebled mind and some
godforsaken ******** (sorry, there I go again, I meant remote quaint
community) located in, gosh, another continent for Pete's sake!

But, if I may abuse of your patience for a few seconds more, please
let me ask you a question or two.

When you read something about the Roman Empire, do you need to be told
Rome-Italy just in case there was any doubt that it might have been
Rome, NY that invaded Gaul, or that Rome, GA had developed a brave
squad of Rubicon-crossers?

When you read about the Queen in London, do you need to know that it
is London, England or might you doubt that Buckingham palace could
have moved to Ontario or Kentucky or Ohio?

When you read about Paris being a fashion center, do you need to have
it specified as Paris France, or is any one of the 6 US cities so
named seeing a large influx of strange clothes and anoretic women?

And just what is wrong with Paris TX, why is it not a destination but
Venice FL is?
</JUST KIDDING>

I guess Google hits are what defines objectivity today...

;-)))))

Mike