shumway

Default Boxed wines redux

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> I was reading over some of the old threads on this topic, and opinions
> ranged from these being poor to passable, but since that's so relative,
> can someone compare them with the other common bargain wine, Charles "Two
> Buck
> Chuck" Shaw (cab sav, merlot, etc)? Thanks.

The forum in http://www.wineloverspage.com had a thread about this. A lot
of people chimed in, but IIRC most of them were of the opinion that both
were equally bad. Robin Garr, (the owner of the page) felt that the Shaw
was much better, and there was one other poster thought the Franzia was
much better. The forums is easy to search, so I suggest you go to that
site and read the thread.

BTW, I have noticed that in addition to the usual suspects for box wine
(Almaden, Vella, and Franzia), the stores here have begun carrying Hardy's
and Corbett Canyon. I like the Hardy's. The Corbett Canyon I have not
tried yet, but I see that it is made by the same company as Franzia (The
Wine Group). Shaw is not available here, so I have no idea how they
compare to Shaw. Any opinions?