Larry Coon

Default Boxed wines redux

Milhouse Van Houten wrote:

> I was reading over some of the old threads on this topic, and opinions
> ranged from these being poor to passable, but since that's so relative, can
> someone compare them with the other common bargain wine, Charles "Two Buck
> Chuck" Shaw (cab sav, merlot, etc)? Thanks.

Someone -- I think it was either the Los Angeles Times or
Orange County Register, did an article about 6-9 months
ago (in their weekly wine column) comparing Two Buck Chuck
to a box wine. I don't remember which box wine they
chose, but it was one they considered passable, and a lot
better than the Chuck. The point of the article was not
to pre-judge based on the packaging. The article is
pretty much exactly what you're asking for.

I just took a look at the OC Register archives, and I -think-
it's the fourth article he

<http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/Archives?p_product=OC&p_theme=oc&p_action=search&p _maxdocs=200&p_text_search-0=%22Charles%20Shaw%22&s_dispstring=Charles%20Shaw %20AND%20date(all)&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date& xcal_useweights=no>

However, you have to pay about the cost of a bottle of the
Chuck to see the article (money better spent, in my opinion).

Larry Coon
University of California