Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: 100 pointers and others with SOBER

On Mar 3, 8:35*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 9- Dan says Amarone early, I don't think it's long enough. Soft,
> > REALLY ripe, REALLY sweet, running a bit hot. 1999 Quintarelli
> > Valpolicella C

> Interesting tasting, Dale. *Did you guys know in advance that the theme
> would be "100 pt" wines? *Regarding the above note, it was my impression
> that to receive Valpo DOC the wine had to be a dry red. *Was this
> possibly a Recioto della Valpolicella? *Sad to hear about that '90 La
> Chapelle, but they've been priced outta my league for a while now, so no
> personal tragedy.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

We knew no theme (and Mike didn't actually realize he had included 2
100 pointers). Towards the end of meal he said his theme was "Short on
Time – thematic nihlism." I just mentioned the 100 pointers because no
one liked the La Chapelle, and a couple who own it said they will
sell. The LLC was better recieved, though not universally, and I may
have rated low.

The Quintarelli was the Valpo, and it wasn't dessert wine as such. I'd
guess there is some RS< but it qualifies as dry. I just meant that
next to two traditionally dry wines the contrast was heightened.