Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Tips on how to smoke a turkey

In article >,
Mort > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
>

> > Have you ever spatched a turkey? I have an extra one in the freezer
> > that was given to me that I've been considering trying that with.

> I've done it. I can't say it's bad. However, if you're going to
> go that far you might as well split the bird up completely so you
> can cook the white 100% seperately from the dark.

Not a bad idea.

> I rarely cook turkeys whole anymore, especially in the smoker.
> I remove the the thighs and legs, and remove the breast. The remaining
> parts go to make stock.

I see. But I'd consider quartering it.

> Sometimes I'll leave the breast on the bone, sometimes I'll roll
> and tie it. Put everything in the smoker then remove the white
> meat at 160 F. Leave the dark parts in until they hit around 175 F.

Ok.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.