Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ricavito Ricavito is offline

Default Cookbook Review

On Mar 2, 8:13*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I've been looking for recipes for my crock pot that do not involve cream of
> something or other soups or other processed foods. *Mainly due to our food
> allergies. *Although I did find some things on the Internet, I still
> continued to look. *And now I have found what I was looking for! *The book
> is called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook", by Beth Hensperger and
> Julie Kaufman.
>
> Some of the recipes won't work or can easily be modified for our food
> allergies. *And some are just too high in carbs for us. *But there are many
> doable recipes. *All involve, real, whole foods.
>
> I have not tried any of the recipes yet, but they do look good!

Hey Julie, thanks for the recommendation. I stumbled on a site that
had some soup and vegetable recipe excerpts from this cookbook, and it
looks just like something I've been looking for. I agree about
needing to modify the receipes a bit, but I like the emphasis on
nonprocessed foods. Did you see the black bean soup recipe? yum!

I have a Hamilton Beach slowcooker with three ceramic inserts ranging
in size. I mostly use the smallest one for soup, and a larger one for
pot roast or stewing a whole chicken. The largest one is good for
making stock cause I can throw an armload of vegetables or bones or
whatever in it.