Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Favorite appetizers from the Mediterranean shores?

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 01:41:10 -0800, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Om wrote about Ritz crackers:
>
>> They are excellent for creating appetizers. I love the buttery taste of
>> those things.

I prefer parallelograms. Keebler Club (not the HFC brand). Ritz
are sweet, Club less so.

> That reminds me: Sometime in the near future I'll be making a bunch of
> small-plate things for what is anticipated to be a group of five diners. The
> food is all supposed to be Mediterranean-inspired (initially it was supposed
> to be European, but I am *not* going to ask for recipes from Europe!)
>
> What are some favorite appetizers from that region? (I must exclude from
> consideration such things as prosciutto with melon, because melon is out of
> season.)

We just got a decent batch of cantaloupes. $1/each.

"Canteloupes"? I think my spell-checker is on the fritz. That's
not the spelling I know.

Weird. Everybody but Wikipedia got it wrong:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...es&btnG=Search

And yes, have been able to find the "Italian" cantalopes for the
last several years. I have no idea what that babble about
Eastern/Western Shipper and musk is about. I just know that it's a
bitch finding consistent and ripe cantelopes. I shake the thing and
feel the "peduncle". Mainly that's just for show - to make other
shoppers make it look like I know what I'm doing. If people look at
me funny, then I thump it against my forehead and pretend I'm
listening for sound.

-sw

-sw